Here we go! DEDPXL07!
We have done six assignments so far here on DEDPXL. This is your final for the year. The last hoorah until we start back up in 2015. Every assignment up to this point has been just an assignment. None of them have been competitions. The final is different. Someone is going to win this one.
The theme of this assignment is “The world has changed.” Your photo MUST have ALL three of the following elements:
1) A news delivery device. This can be a newspaper, TV, radio, letter, phone, laptop, etc. Something that delivers news to someone. This MUST be in your photo.
2) A human or humans. You must have some sort of human element in your photo. That can be a full person or persons or just a part of someone. Someone just entering the frame or leaving the frame. Etc. Etc. Etc. A note to the Lego and toy photographers — if you can pull this off in your genre then I say go for it, but it better be amazing.
3) Something must be spilled or getting spilled in your photo. That can be a coffee cup falling from someone’s hand or a vase of flowers spilled on the floor. Etc. Etc.
The purpose of this assignment is to tell a story. To build a narrative. As with all previous assignments the exercise is to see how we can have the same elements to work with but how many different ways those elements can be interpreted. People bitch and moan that “everyone is a photographer” these days but go back and look through the previous assignments. Look how some folks did some really great work and others failed miserably. The great photos that were posted, what camera was mostly used in those photos? You can’t say can you? Because it doesn’t matter. Stop, for the love of God, STOP… thinking that everyone with a nice camera can do this. Wake up and realize that it is the person holding the camera. It’s never about the camera itself.
That said — The prize for this assignment is gear. Gorgeous gear. OMG-I-can’t-believe-I-have-this-thing-to-give-away kind of gear.
Someone is winning a digital medium format camera system from Capture Integration.
The winner of this assignment is getting a Hasselblad 500cm camera, a Zeiss T* 80mm lens, a Leaf Aptus 2 22 megapixel back, accessories, and a full version of Capture One v. 8.0. All provided by Capture Integration. It’s about $6,000 worth of gear. It’s effing gorgeous. You should be crapping your pants right now. A big thank you goes out to Dave at CI. Thank you Dave. Thank you. This camera system comes with no strings attached to DEDPXL. Please know that. This system is for you. End of story.
Here is how this is going to work.
You have from October 1st, 2014 until November 3rd, 2014 to shoot for this assignment.
DO NOT post your photos until November 3rd.
Do. Not. Post. Your. Photos. Until. November. 3rd.
If you post a photo for this assignment before November 3rd then you are an idiot. Stop and slap the shit out of yourself. We’re playing our cards close to our chest with this one. If you post an old photo then you are an idiot. Don’t be an idiot. Be smart. K? Pay attention. Follow the rules and then put your spin on them.
November 3rd is the cut off date. At that point you can begin posting your images to the DEDPXL Flickr community, the DEDPXL Google+ community, or to 500px and use the hashtag #DEDPXL07. The winner will have to provide an original RAW image to prove the date. Not like many people have these three specific elements in a photo in the first place. 🙂
You can post your photos from November 3rd until November 5th and then it’s cut off. At that point Meghan and I will critique the images and choose the top ten from the photos that have been submitted. We will post those ten here on DEDPXL and you, the DEDPXL community, will vote for your favorite for one week. After one week the voting will end and the top three images will then be given to Sara Lando to choose the winning image of this assignment. Why Sara Lando? Because she is the inspiration behind this assignment in the first place.
The World Has Changed.
The World Has Changed.
The World Has Changed.
This can be a personal change to someone’s world or a global change. This can be past, present, or future. You can have one person or many people in the photo. There has to be something delivering the news. There has to be a human element in the photo. There has to be something spilling or spilled. No exceptions. No excuses. No apologies. There’s a digital medium format camera up for grabs. Do what you please in post production. However, no sepia tone for period pieces. Unless you are printing it on fiber paper and toning it in a dark room. 🙂 You have one month to work on this.
Use the first week to brainstorm ideas and find the person or people you need for the photo. Start looking at your schedule NOW and put some dates on the books. Use the second week to gather the things and crew or resources you will need for your photo. Watch out for making something too complicated. Think about light, location, directing your subject, post production, lines, shapes, shadows, form, pattern, and all the rest.
Then execute your image to the best of your abilities. Then take it just a bit more from there.
Any questions? Hit me in the comments below. Best of luck to you and good shooting!
10/9/14 :: Update :: Here are some answers to the most common questions I have received…
1. This contest is open to anyone around the world. We will ship it to you as a gift but the value will be declared all the same. Winner is responsible for any taxes, fees, etc.
2. Photoshop and compositing is allowed. The main part of the image needs to be shot during this contest period. I’m not going to disqualify you if part of a sky (or similar) you composited in was shot a year ago. The main subject material though needs to be new.
3. There’s no requirement for having shot for previous assignments for this.
4. If you shoot this on film then shoot a digital version for EXIF data or shoot a frame of the front page of your local newspaper in the shot to prove date. Just provide something that can prove you have shot this within the time frame of this contest.
5. Diptychs / triptychs etc are not allowed. One shot. One kill.
PS – I have to once again thank Capture Integration for giving me this system to give away. I am not receiving any compensation for this in product or in cash. They reached out to me to see how they can support the DEDPXL community because they like what we are doing here. They mentioned they could put a system together to give to a deserving individual and I’m running with that offer. How awesome is that? They are great people.